The Falcon Courier

The Student News Site of Salisbury High School

68° Allentown, PA

The Falcon Courier

The Falcon Courier

“The thoughts won’t stop, help me”

Ethan Crumbley and his parents Jennifer and James Crumbley are all accused for the school shooting that occurred at Oxford High School in Michigan on Nov. 30, 2021.

On Nov. 30, 2021 at Ethan Crumbley’s high school, he drew a picture on his math paper of a gun, a  bullet, a wounded man and words that stated, “The thoughts won’t stop, help me.” 

That day, Ethan’s parents were called to the school and they all had a meeting. The meeting went for about 12 minutes and then his parents, Jennifer and James Crumbley, left the school, not bringing Ethan home.

According to AP News, Jennifer had never told the school that they had guns in their house after the meeting they had that day, and that the day before, Ethan was using the one gun to shoot at a shooting range. 

That afternoon, Ethan pulled out his gun and shot 10 students and a teacher which left four peers dead. 

According to Ethan Crumbley, “I have zero help for my mental problems and it’s causing me to shoot up the … school.” 

AP News stated, the defense attorney named Shannon Smith said, “Ethan was a “skilled manipulator,”, who didn’t have mental illnesses…”.

Smith also said that this case won’t bring back any lives. 

The maximum sentence for this manslaughter case is 15 years in prison. So far the Crumbleys have been in jail for two years. Ethan is now 17 and will be in prison for a life sentence.

According to AP News, Jennifer Crumbley, 45, and James Crumbley, 47, are the first parents in the U.S. to be charged in a mass school shooting committed by their child. 

According to BBC News, there was a jury trial on Feb. 7, 2024 for Jennifer Crumbley. She was charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter, each carrying a maximum sentence of 15 years.   

BBC News said that James Crumbley will serve in a separate trial in March of 2024.