The Falcon Courier

The Student News Site of Salisbury High School

69° Allentown, PA

The Falcon Courier

The Falcon Courier

Chiefs Beat 49ers in Super Bowl 58

*Image Credit to CBS Sports

1/14/23- The Kansas City Chiefs overcame a 10 point deficit to beat the San Francisco 49ers 25-22. The Chiefs are the first back to back Super Bowl champions in 2 decades. 

The Chiefs started out slow in the first half only scoring 3 points to the 49ers 10 points. 

The 49ers scored early in the second quarter from Jake Moody scoring what was the longest field goal in Super Bowl history from 55 yards according to ESPN.

Christian Mcaffrey then scored a TD for the 49ers off a trick play. 

The Chiefs finally got on the board from a field goal from Harrison Butker just before the half. 

Midway through the 3rd quarter Harrison Butker broke Jake Moody’s record kicking a 57 yard field goal according to CBS Sports.

When the 49ers failed to recover the punt and the Chiefs recovered and scored the very next play with Mahomes throwing a picture perfect pass to Marquez Valdes-Scantling on a 16-yard touchdown pass to give the Chiefs a 13-10 lead. 

Early in the 4th quarter with a pass from Purdy to Jennings but Jake Moody missed the extra point . Leaving the score at 16-13.

Harrison Butker then scored a 24 yard field goal to tie the game 16-16.

Jake Moody fired back with a 53 yard field goal to give the 49ers a 19-16 lead.

Mahomes led the Chiefs down the field to set up a 29 yard field goal to send the game to overtime.

The 49ers had to settle for a field goal on their 1st possession in overtime.

Then the Chiefs scored a touchdown with 2 seconds left in OT. With Mahomes throwing a 3 yard pass to Hardman to win the Chiefs their 3rd Super Bowl in the past 5 years.

The Chiefs definitely need to be considered as a dynasty similar to the New England Patriots with Tom Brady said Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid.